Watch Out for Scams
Beware the “door-to-door” contractor salesman. If someone comes knocking at your door, offers to do work for you at what seems like a very reasonable price and tells you that he can get financing for you if you simply sign this handy paperwork he has for, he may be a scam artist. Never:
- Sign anything that is blank and/or you haven’t read and understood completely.
- Use your contractor to find funding for a home improvement project. You should always shop around for your own financing to get the best rates from the most reliable sources.
- Sign over your deed to anyone else. Consult a professional before you sign anything.
- Give in to pressure to sign any document.
- Say “yes” on a home equity loan if you aren’t sure you will be able to afford the monthly payments.