What Contractor for What Job?
If you have a larger home improvement project, you may use different contractors for different parts of the job. That’s why you need to know which contractor is best suited for each job.
- General Contractors – They manage everything on your project, including getting necessary building permits, hiring the subcontractors, supervising all work done on the project and scheduling any inspections. They are the ones who work with the architects and designers on the project.
- Specialty Contractors – These guys are used for installing specific items, such as the cabinets or bathroom fixtures.
- Architects – They are the ones who design the project, whether it’s an entire home, an addition to an existing home or a major renovation. If your project requires structural changes, you need to hire an architect.
- Designers – These guys specialize in different areas of the home, such as bathrooms or kitchens.
- Design/Build Contractors – These guys are a “one-stop shop”. They will be involved in your project from beginning until the very end. Some contracting firms use on-staff architects while others use only certified designers. It varies from company to company.